PowerBoost 1000C is the perfect power supply for your portable project! With a built-in load-sharing battery charger circuit, you’ll be able to keep your power-hungry project running even while recharging the battery! This little DC/DC boost converter module can be powered by any 3.7V LiIon/LiPoly battery, and convert the battery output to 5.2V DC for running your 5V projects.
Like our popular 5V 1A USB wall adapter, we tweaked the output to be 5.2V instead of a straight-up 5.0V so that there’s a little bit of ‘headroom’ for long cables, high draw, the addition of a diode on the output if you wish, etc. The 5.2V is safe for all 5V-powered electronics like Arduino, Raspberry Pi, or Beagle Bone while preventing icky brown-outs during high current draw because of USB cable resistance.
The PowerBoost 1000C has at the heart a TPS61090 boost converter from TI. This boost converter chip has some really nice extras such as low battery detection, 2A internal switch, synchronous conversion, excellent efficiency, and 700KHz high-frequency operation. Check out these specs!
To make this even more useful, we stuck a smart load-sharing Lipoly charger on the other side. The charger circuitry is powered from a micro USB jack and will recharge any 3.7V/4.2V LiIon or LiPoly battery at a 1000mA max rate. There are two LEDs for monitoring the charge rate, a yellow one tells you it’s working, a green one lights up when it’s done.
Since the built-in battery charger has load-sharing, it will automatically switch over to the USB power when available, instead of continuously charging/draining the battery. This is more efficient and lets you charge and boost at the same time without any interruption on the output so it’s fine for use as a “UPS” (uninterruptable power supply). Please note that this board is designed to be used only with a LiPoly attached, it won’t work without a battery.
- Synchronous operation means you can disconnect the output completely by connecting the ENable pin to the ground. This will completely turn off the output
- 2A internal switch (~2.5A peak limiting) means you can get 1000mA+ from a 3.7V LiPoly/LiIon battery. Just make sure your battery can handle it!
- Low battery indicator LED lights up red when the voltage dips below 3.2V, optimized for LiPo/LiIon battery usage
- Onboard 1000mA charge-rate ‘iOS’ data resistors. Solder in the USB connector and you can plug in any iPad, iPhone or iPod for a 1000mA charge rate.
- Full breakout for battery in, control pins and power out
- 90%+ operating efficiency in most cases (see datasheet for efficiency graphs), and low quiescent current: 5mA when enabled and power LED is on, 20uA when disabled (power and low batt LED are off)
1 x Adafruit PowerBoost 1000 Charger