The GY-BMP280 Barometer Sensor is a breakout board for Bosch BMP280 high-precision and low-power digital barometer. It can be used to measure temperature and atmospheric pressure accurately. It can be connected to a microcontroller with I2C.
How to use GY-BMP280 Module?
The GY-BMP280 module operates from 3.3V so requires 3.3V power and must be driven with 3.3V logic levels. If needed to operate at 5V, it can be done using voltage regulator and level shifters as it doesn’t contain one. It is typically recommended to operate it on 3.3V and maximum at 3.6VDC. The module GY-BMP280 module simply supports both I²C and SPI interfaces and comes with a default I²C address of 0x76. The Chip Select (CSB) and Serial Data Output (SDO) pins of the BMP 280 are necessary only when SPI-based (four-wire) communication is applied. I2C is a two-wire interface SDA SCK.
Leave pin 6 of the module (SDO) unconnected to set the I²C address to 0x76 – the on-board resistor pulls the SDO pin low setting the address to 0x76.
To change the I²C address to 0x77, connect pin 6 of the module (SDO) to Vcc which would typically be the 3.3V supply.
Pin 5 of the module (CSB) must be connected to Vcc to select the I²C interface. This is already done by an onboard pull-up resistor, so pin 5 can be left disconnected when using the I²C interface.
Applications of GY-BMP280 Module:
- Enhancement of GPS navigation (e.g. time-to-first-fix improvement, dead-reckoning, slope detection)
- Indoor navigation (floor detection, elevator detection)
- Outdoor navigation, leisure, and sports applications
- The weather forecast, Home weather stations
- Health care application (e.g. spirometry)
- Vertical velocity indication (e.g. risk/sink speed)
- Handsets such as mobile phones, tablet PCs, GPS devices
- Flying toys
- Comes with the BMP280 sensor.
- Pressure accuracy of ±1 hPa.
- Temperature accuracy ±1.0°C.
- Altimeter accuracy ±1 meter.
1 x GY-BME280-3.3 Precision Altimeter Atmospheric Pressure Sensor Module
1 x 6 pin Male Header