The USB to TTL serial adapter is based on the high quality and very popular FTDI FT232RL chipset and is an excellent way to connect TTL serial devices to a PC through a USB port.
This USB to TTL serial adapter is ideal for many uses, including:
Programming microprocessors such as ARM, AVR, etc
Working with computing hardware such as routers and switches
Serial communication with many devices such as GPS devices
Serial terminals on devices like the Raspberry Pi
Unlike most USB to TTL serial adapters, this adapter supports both 5V AND 3.3V operation! Simply set the jumper as required to choose between 5V and 3.3V as labelled on the board.
The main connector has 6 pins :
- DTR: Data Terminal Ready – an output used for flow control
- RX: Serial data Receive pin
- TX: Serial data Transmit pin
- VCC: Positive voltage output – this is controlled by the jumper. If the jumper is set to 5V, this will provide a 5V output. If the jumper is set to 3.3V, this will provide a 3.3V output.
- CTS: Clear To Send – an input used for flow control
- GND: Ground or 0V
For most uses, you can simply connect the following pins:
- RX on this board to the TX pin on your device
- TX on this board to the RX pin on your device
- GND on this board to GND on your device
- The VCC pin is ideal for powering small devices such as homemade circuits. This pin should not be connected when a device has a separate power supply as this may damage both devices.
Please note that in 5V mode the maximum current draw on this pin is approximately 500mA. In 3.3V mode, the maximum current draw on VCC is approximately 50mA.
- Single-chip USB to asynchronous serial data transfer interface.
- Entire USB protocol handled on the chip. No USB specific firmware programming is required.
- Fully integrated 1024 bit EEPROM storing device descriptors and CBUS I/O configuration.
- Fully integrated USB termination resistors.
- Fully integrated clock generation with no external crystal required plus optional clock output selection enabling a glue-less interface to external MCU or FPGA.
- Data transfer rates from 300 baud to 3 Mbaud (RS422, RS485, RS232) at TTL levels.
- 128 bytes receive buffer and 256 bytes transmit buffer utilizing buffer smoothing technology to allow for high data output.
- Standard interface layout, compatible with a variety of Arduinos such as the Pro Mini
- Original FTDI FT232 chip, stable performance
- USB power has current protection, using 500MA self-restore fuse
- RDX/TXD transceiver communication indicator
- With power, sending, receiving indicator, working status LED indicators
- Mini USB Port Connection
- Support 3.3V, 5V
Package Includes :
1 x Hiletgo Mini USB to TTL serial Converter